Tuition Assistance, ArmyIgnitED, and Student Agreements

What is Tuition Assistance?

The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning. The courses must be offered by schools that are registered in Army Ignited and are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform TA fiscal policy across the military services. Per semester hour cap is $250 and the fiscal year ceiling is $4,000. The Army will pay 100 percent of the tuition and authorized fees charged by a school up to the established per semester hour cap and fiscal year ceiling. (The fiscal year runs from October 1 through September 30.)

Authorized fees covered by TA are mandatory fees that are associated with an individual course enrollment. Non-refundable fees and fees that are not linked to individual course enrollments (e.g., application fees, graduation fees) are not covered by TA.

ArmyIgnitED is only for Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers, and must be requested through ArmyIgnitED.

All other branches of the military services submit a paper TA form to their respective branch business office for billing.

S&T students using Tuition Assistance must submit an Authorization to Release Information form to the Registrar's Office.


What is ArmyIgnitED?

ArmyIgnitED is the virtual gateway for Soldiers to request TA online, anytime, for classroom and distance learning college courses. ArmyIgnitED automates many of the paper-based processes Soldiers historically conducted with their Army education counselor. ArmyIgnitED is used by Soldiers to pursue their postsecondary education goals, Army Education counselors to provide educational guidance, and Colleges to deliver degree and course offerings and to report Soldier progress.

All requests for Tuition Assistance by Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers must be processed through ArmyIgnitED.

ArmyIgnitED acts as a funding tool for tuition. Some schools use it as a funding tool plus a registration tool; meaning, students who request TA are automatically enrolled into the class. S&T's procedure is two-fold;

  1. Students must register with S&T to be enrolled in the course and,
  2. Students must register for TA through Army Ignited to provide the necessary funding to pay for the course

These are two separate processes, but both must be completed.

Since we have a small percentage of students using TA, we find it easier to enter classes on a case-by-case basis each semester. Please notify the Registrar's Office if you need courses uploaded; otherwise, you will not be able to request Tuition Assistance.


What is a Student Agreement?

Each soldier is required to have a Student Agreement (SA) or documented degree map in place by the time six credit hours have been completed. The SA, or documented degree map, lists courses that will advance a Soldier toward a degree. It includes appropriate credit for previous college courses, nontraditional learning, Army Military Occupational Specialties (MOS), and military training courses; and it shows results of national examinations. The student must be admitted into a program and enrolled in courses before a SA will be uploaded into Army Ignited.